Why is Sage used in Cleansing Rituals?
- Native Americans are known for their history of using Sage as a cleansing tool.
Click on Native American Anomoly Research Society to See Their Cleansing Ritual.
- Ancient Celtic druids who used sage as a sacred herb alongside Oak Moss for burning as well as medicinal purposes. See The Ancient Art of Smudging.
- Indigenous Peoples of the Amazon whose ‘Palo Santo’ (sacred wood) sage burning ceremonies are still practiced to this day.
- Scientists believe that when burned, sage and other herbs release negative ions, which research has linked to a more positive mood. See more on the Ancient Art of Smudging.
- The Latin term for sage, ‘Salvia,’ stems from the word ‘to heal.’ The other qualities of sage when burned, such as giving wisdom, clarity and increasing spiritual awareness, are also indicated in the name.
How to Perform a Sage Cleansing Ritual
1. Buy a sage smudge stick. You can find them in many local spiritual stores, or in online stores such as Amazon or Ebay.
2. Open window and doors in your house. You can turn on any fans also. This will help spread the smoke around and allow the sage smoke to trap the energy and bring it outside with the smoke.
3. Light the stick then blow it out. The stick should burn slowly at the tip.
4. Set your intention for each room. Say a prayer either in your head or out loud. Ask God or the universe to bring any negative energy out of your house and life, and return it to the light where it can heal again. While you are wishing out all the negative energy, wish in a healing white protective barrier. For example, picture a white fog embracing you and your family and your house, work or any loved ones. Picture this white fog to be an energy of pure love and healing. Surround yourself and all you love with this protective light that can let nothing negative in.
5. Walk around each room, waving the sage stick slowly so its smoke drifts into corners, along walls, around windows, and along ceiling lines.
6. You can cleanse your own energy by waving the stick up and down your body. Picture the smoke carrying away any negative energy, disease, pain, negative thoughts. then imagine the white protective fog surrounding you and preventing anything negative from getting in.
7. Extinguish the stick in a cup of water or put it in a bowl and let it burn out slowly. Shut all doors and windows and say another prayer that all negative has left and please now allow only positive energy to come in.
Click on Items to Purchase Below
Other Cleansing Items
Sage is not the only way to cleanse yourself or property of negative energy. There are many traditions held by those who are healers, paranormal investigators or of the church.
You can go to your local church and ask them for to bless water for you to sprinkle around your home. You can even buy it online.
Some use amulets and charms wtih a prayer attached to them or with special meaning, such as the power of Arch Angel Michael to protect them.
Stones and Minerals
Stones and minerals all put out different energies as well. You may want to look into these following stones to see what healing, protective energy they have. Amber Healing Crystal,
Amethyst, Sodalite, Clear Quartz , Gemstone Crystal, Amethyst, Actinolite Crystal, Selenite or get the book, Healing Crystals and Gemstones: From Amethyst to Zircon to help you learn the more about this subject.
Sound Bowls and Bells
Some believe that you can cleanse the energy of a room with sound.
We hope this helps you with your journey through cleansing your energy fields. If you have questions or advice please place in comments below.